1. Do you look down on those who are less educated, less affluent, less refined, or less successful than yourself?
2. Do you think of yourself as more spiritual than your mate, others in your church?
3. Do you have a judgmental spirit toward those who don’t make the same lifestyle choices you do . . . dress standards, how you school your kids, entertainment standards, etc.?
4. Are you quick to find fault with others and to verbalize those thoughts to others? Do you have a
sharp, critical tongue?
5. Do you frequently correct or criticize your mate, your pastor, or other people in positions of
leadership (teachers, youth director, etc.)?
6. Do you give undue time, attention, and effort to your physical appearance—hair, make-up,
clothing, weight, body shape, avoiding appearance of aging?
7. Are you proud of the schedule you keep, how disciplined you are, how much you are able to
8. Are you driven to receive approval, praise, or acceptance from others?
9. Are you argumentative?
10. Do you generally think your way is the right way, the only way, or the best way?
11. Do you have a touchy, sensitive spirit? Easily offended? Get your feelings hurt easily?
12. Are you guilty of pretense? Trying to leave a better impression of yourself than is really true?
(Would the people at church be shocked if they knew what you were like at home?)
13. Do you have a hard time admitting when you are wrong?
14. Do you have a hard time confessing your sin to God or others? (not just in generalities but
15. Do you have a hard time sharing your real spiritual needs/struggles with others?
16. Do you have a hard time praying aloud with others?
17. Are you excessively shy?
18. Do you have a hard time reaching out and being friendly to people you don’t know at church?
19. Do you resent being asked or expected to serve your family, your parents, or others?
20. Do you become defensive when you are criticized or corrected?
21. Are you a perfectionist? Do you get irked or impatient with people who aren’t?
22. Do you tend to be controlling—of your mate, your children, friends, those in your workplace?
23. Do you frequently interrupt people when they are speaking?
24. Does your husband feel intimidated by your “spirituality”?
25. Does your husband feel like he can never measure up to your expectations of what it means to be a good husband, spiritual leader, etc.?
26. Do you often complain—about the weather, your health, your circumstances, your job, your
27. Do you talk about yourself too much?
28. Are you more concerned about your problems, needs, burdens than about others’ concerns?
29. Do you worry about what others think of you? Too concerned about your reputation or your
30. Do you neglect to express gratitude for “little things”? To God? To others?
31. Do you neglect prayer and intake of the Word?
32. Do you get hurt if your accomplishments/or acts of service are not recognized or rewarded?
33. Do you get hurt if your feelings or opinions are not considered when your mate or your boss is
making a decision or if you are not informed when a change or a decision is made?
34. Do you react to rules? Do you have a hard time being told what to do?
35. Are you self-conscious because of your lack of education or natural beauty, or your socioeconomic status?
36. Do you avoid participating in certain events, for fear of being embarrassed or looking foolish?
37. Do you avoid being around certain people because you feel inferior compared to them/don’t feel you measure up?
38. Are you uncomfortable inviting people to your home because you don’t think it’s nice enough or you can’t afford to do lavish entertaining?
39. Is it hard for you to let others know when you need help (practical or spiritual)?
40. When is the last time you said these words to a family member, friend, or co-worker: “I was
wrong; would you please forgive me?” (If it’s been more than a month, mark it down!)
41. Are you sitting here thinking how many of these questions apply to someone you know? Feeling pretty good that none of these things really apply to you?