Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Gradual Exposure to Evil?

It’s very common to in our culture to hear the complaint directed toward homeschoolers—“You’re too sheltered”, or if it’s towards the parents, “You’re sheltering your kids too much”. Culturally, it’s a well known thought that in order to not be shocked when you “go into” the world, you need to be gradually exposed to evil. Is this a biblical thought? I don’t believe it is. God’s Word says that we are to be “wise about what is good, and innocent about what is evil”. (Romans 16:19) We don’t have to “know” or “experience” evil to know that it is wrong. Such logic states that in order for me to know that drinking alcohol is bad for me, I need to taste a little. We as God’s children should desire to stay as far away from evil as possible; we don’t need to experience it or see it to know that it is bad. In contrast, the more we study God’s Word and know what is RIGHT, the more we’ll be able to recognize what is evil. So make sure that you are hiding God’s Word in your heart, meditating on it and studying it!

"I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you."
Psalm 119:11 (ESV)

6 comments:

Kalani said...

Yes! I agree! What a wise answer to such common "complaints directed toward homeschoolers"!

Moriah said...

I tagged you!

Michelle said...

Wonderful post, Allison!! I completely agree with you. I've heard those comments about being "too sheltered" one too many times. *sigh* Romans 12:9 says "Abhor what is evil; cling to that which is good." And so many other verses similar to that as well all throughout the Bible. I don't understand why people (a lot of times Christians) think we have to eat a little bit of "poison" to know that it's poison.

Colossians 4:5-6 also says:
"Walk in wisdom toward them that are without, redeeming the time. Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man."

And I think you're doing a great job doing just that! :)

Maiden of Purity said...

Ally,

What a beautiful analogy! Wow, that really is true. It speaks to me so much! What an awesome post, and how wonderful the Lord is to grow you in His Word and share it with others! My eyes are more open this year than they were last year, I don't need to 'experience' I can see the evil! Great post, short, and yet powerful and precise!

Michelle said...

Allison, Thank YOU for your encouragement! It's been such a blessing getting to know you better. Your sweet comment was such a blessing to read--thank you! :)

It was great seeing you and your family the other day as well! I had such a nice time chatting with you. :)

Hope you have a wonderful day!
~Michlle

Kristen said...

Great rebuttal. I enjoyed the example you used in illustrating -- I had never thought of it in that way.

I love your new camera!