Monday, June 22, 2009

The Power of the "Delete" Button

I’m generally not a saver, of material stuff or electronically. If I don’t need it, I get rid of it. Sometimes I’m a little too hasty, because I’ll get rid of something only to wish I hadn’t. Some of my friends know that I’ve deleted things on my computer with the intention to “save space”, without realizing that I deleted something important.

Well, it happened again.

You see, I like to write down my thoughts for blog posts, even if they are never developed or published. On my computer desktop I have multiple folders, one titled “Blog Stuff” (which reveals my lack of creativity). Here I would type post ideas, posts I’m working on/thinking through, and sometimes I would just write, with the intention of developing something later. I had many, many documents, some written many months ago that I didn’t post, others started that I didn’t develop enough, and others that I was working on with the intention of posting them in the next few weeks.

Well my dear readers, all my plans for posting have changed, for I accidentally deleted my blog folder. Gone. Vanished. All my work never to be seen again. It’s a long story, and I’m still not positive how it happened! I was very dismayed because I can’t retrieve all the time and work I put into those blog posts. Unfortunately I haven’t backed up my computer in over a year, so the documents backed up are very old.


But don’t think I’m telling you this to pity me, no, the reason I’m informing you of this is so that you can understand if my posts are scattered few and far between. Because of this “dilemma”, I may not be so quick to rewrite all the things I had before; in fact, many will probably be forgotten forever. I had fully intended to post at least once a week this summer, but because of this, it will largely depend on how much time I have. I do hope that I can still manage a post per week, but we shall see how all goes.

So here’s a reminder for you…backup your computer! In fact, I might be good to go do it now if you haven’t done it in a while. Especially if you have important things like schoolwork and such, for losing it would be disastrous.


4 comments:

Maiden of Purity said...

Oh wow! I'm so sorry Ally! That is very devastating when things as such happen. I have had school reports in the past all written out and just ready to hit the print button, and on accident, I pushed the delete button! It's a test from the Lord to see if you can manage your anger! :)

Nessa

T.J. said...

Yikes! That stinks.... I did something like that before...

Kristen said...

Oh how frustrating! I hope you are able to collect and recover those thoughts and ideas!

Michelle said...

Oh no, Allyson! That's horrible what happened! :( I know how you feel!

And yes, it's always a good idea to back up everything on your computer...I learned that recently when my laptop got a virus or something and I lost almost everything!

Hope all your thoughts will come back to you, and you can re-write them all. :)