Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Representative of Christ

When you see someone with a Christian t-shirt but who is (in your opinion) not acting in a God-honoring way, what do you think? Do you think of how they are poorly representing Christ? It’s easy to do that, because many people claim to be Christians yet do not glorify and honor Christ accurately in their speech and actions. But instead of looking at others, let’s search our own hearts…

What do you think people’s first impressions of you are?

When someone who has never seen you before notices you—in a store, playing in your yard, taking a walk, or anything else, what do you think their first impressions are? Do you think it’s clear that you’re different? Does the love and joy of Jesus clearly shine through you?

This came to my mind this weekend as my family and some families from our church attended a homeschool conference and wore matching shirts with our church logo. Of course, since we all matched and a handful of us were seen walking around often, my thoughts were directed to the question, “What kind of impression am I giving for our church when people see me?” But even more importantly, my thoughts were turned to the question, “Am I properly representing Christ in everything I do?”

The purpose is not to give people a good impression so they think you’re such a great person. On the contrary, anything “good” seen in you should be to the glory of God the Father and all praise and honor should be directed to Him. But if we want others to see the difference Christ has made in our lives and want to make an impact, we have to be on guard to not do things to disrepute the name of Christ!

So let me leave you with a question and a couple Scripture verses…
Are you actively making sure you are representing Christ in an honorable way?

“For we are the aroma of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing” 2 Cor. 2:15

“You yourselves are our letter…to be known and read by all. And you show that you are a letter from Christ… written not with ink but with the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of human hearts. Such is the confidence that we have through Christ toward God. Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God” 2 Cor. 3:2-5


7 comments:

Caleb said...

Wonderful thoughts, Allison! We are so often thinking that we want to make a good first impression so that we look good, but we need to be focused on showing the glory of God all the time, and not thinking pridefully.

Lindsay said...

Yes, Allison, those are some great questions and thoughts to ponder. Thanks for the reminder!

~ Love in Christ,
Lindsay

Moriah said...

Wonderful post, Ally! I often ask that question to myself "What do you think people's first impressions of you are?"

Michelle said...

Wonderful post, Allison!

Those are some very good questions to ask ourselves.

Today I was just thinking about this. With Bellissima, a lot of people seeem to know who me or my family are, and I don't reconize them! And it happend today at Walmart when I was in line this lady knew me, but I didn't know her! I got to thinking, how it's so important how we represent ourselves to others. Others are watching us, and most importantly God is. So we should always be striving to please and represent the Lord in all we say and do.

Thanks for the great reminder!

Katie said...

*cough* *cough* I accidentally posted this on the post before.
Great post Ally! I love it when you do post like this!
Thanks
~Katie

Kristen said...

Wonderful post! This is definately something that we should consider every moment of the day. Thanks for pointing us to Christ--So often I am tempted to push him aside and focus on myself when it isn't me, but him graciously working in me!

Southern Maiden said...

Allison - that's a great thought. I've often wondered what people think of me when they first see or meet me. We DO need to strive to be different, full of light in our hearts. "The light of the body is the eye..." Matthew 6:22

Hope for the light in the heart to be seen in our eyes!