Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Summer and Productivity

Summer and productivity are not two words often seen together.  Summer is equated with relaxation, rest, and fun, right?

Summer typically has less busyness, less structure, and thus less productivity. It’s incredibly easy to waste away the summer sitting around and not accomplishing much. So how can we actively prepare for this summer to make the most of our time?

Set goals. Determine what you would like to accomplish. Summer is the best time to try to institute some habits and accomplish tasks that are hard to tackle during the school year.


Establish priorities. What is necessity? What is optional? Choose based on your priorities. Don’t just think of your own personal priorities though; be sure to keep it in the family context. What are your family’s goals and plans for the summer, and how can you structure your time to bless and serve them?


Eliminate distractions. Do you need to take a break from the computer or TV; set aside some things?  Do you need to take a week to make a dent in a specific project or focus on a certain goal?

Put on an others-first, me-last attitude. Summer is the time we often think we should have more time to do what we want to do. But we need to eradicate that selfish attitude and choose to think of others first. This would first involve your family, but then possibly others outside of your family that you need to take the time to serve.

Structure your time. I know having a rigid schedule may intimidate or even annoy you, but structuring your time at least generally will help you better use your time and accomplish what you want to do. When I have a “to do list” or a schedule, I accomplish a lot more because I can focus on what I need to get done, rather than wander, forgetting half the things I need to do.


Embrace accountability. The easiest way to neglect doing something is when you’re the only one who knows about it. If you can get a parent, sibling or friend to do what you’re doing with you, that’s great, but even if they don’t do it with you, have them keep you accountable by asking you if you’re doing it. Even the accountability of someone asking you daily if you’re using your time wisely will be greatly beneficial.


5 comments:

Lindsay said...

This is a really great post, Allison! Now I'm thinking I should make myself a list for the summer. :)

~ Love,
Lindsay

Kira said...

Great list, Allison! I too am planning my summer for productivity. I already have a long list of goals!

Amanda B. said...

Hi Allison,
What a great post on being productive! I agree. The summer is the perfect time to get things done. No school, no homework, more daylight...the list goes on.

Eliminating distractions is the hardest thing for me :/ I need to work on that.

Have a great summer doing all the things you're planning to do :)
-Amanda

A Joyful Chaos said...

Great post! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Stephen Baird said...

love your writing allison!
nikonsniper steve