Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Things to ponder

“I fall short of Thy glory every day by spending hours unprofitably, by thinking that things I do are good, when they are not done to Thy end.”

“Show me how to know when a thing is evil which I think is right and good, how to know when what is lawful comes from an evil principle.”

"May I never rest in a system of doctrine, however scriptural, that does not bring or further salvation, or teach me to deny ungodliness and worldly lusts, or help me to live soberly, righteously, godly”


-Taken from the book Valley of Vision.

May our prayers be such as the Puritans before us, who recognized their own sinfulness and did not merely confess outward sins, but what was in their hearts as well. 

1 comment:

Shelby L'Rae said...

Wow. What a powerful passage. I've been wanting to get Valley of Vision for a while now - I just haven't had a chance. It's amazing to think about how deeply their convictions ran, and how shallowly my own tend to run. I hope that I can pray this prayer every day instead of insisting on offering my self-centered stubble to a Holy God.

That last plea he made is just ground-shaking. I had to read it about three times to catch it's meaning in it's fullest (though, as I read it again, the conviction snatches at more and more of my incorrect thought patterns - I think I should hang this up somewhere so I can continue to think upon it).

I greatly admire the Puritan example - thank you for sharing this quote!

Christ's blessings,
Shelby