Sunday, August 15, 2010

Emotions: a personal example


I’ve had experiences where my feelings have conflicted with what I know I should do. And if I was to boil those down to one thing I’ve learned each time, I’d have to say it would be trusting that God’s way is best. It’s not wrong to be disappointed if something doesn’t go the way we expected, or to be saddened by a circumstance we’ve been confronted with. But no matter what the circumstance, we should not allow our feelings to turn to anger or bitterness, but must trust that God’s ways are higher than our ways. We have to turn those thoughts and natural inclinations to God, asking for His power to have a response that would honor Him.

The truth is that we don’t see the big picture. When my dad first informed me that we were going to start the church we’re presently at, I was resistant. We had only been in that city for about 8 months. The church my dad had started wasn’t growing, and dad was considering moving again because there were families wanting the type of church we were trying to start. I had a difficult time learning to trust God, but I remember that every time I would question “Why?” God would lovingly remind me that His ways were not my ways. Ahh…what a sweet truth.

If everything went the way I desired it would be doomed for failure and disappointment. But because God knows better than I, I can learn to trust that no matter what circumstance He allows, it’s for His glory and my refining. Romans 8:28 says that “we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.” God sees and knows all things, and He alone can determine what is best for us. Even if it involves unexpected circumstances, changed plans or even tragedy, God uses those for our good.

As I look back now, I can’t believe I ever questioned God’s plan for my family. While at first I didn’t want to move or start a new church, now I can’t imagine being anywhere else, and am so abundantly thankful that God has placed us here. What I initially saw as something negative, God has proven to be a huge blessing.

I share my story because no matter what you’re facing, I want to encourage you to trust that God’s way is perfect. If God were to give us a glimpse of what the future would look like in correlation to whatever we have to face or endure right now, I think we would be amazed at how perfectly flawless God’s plan was. I think we would be ashamed that we ever questioned why or even asked God to do things our way. I’m so grateful that God has been gracious to me even when I’ve thought my plan was better and wanted Him to accept MY goals and plans.

4 comments:

Frannie Halbert said...

I'm somewhat new to your blog . but I wanted to say thank you! This was a lovely post that I needed. Have a blessed day!

Frannie

Caitlin said...

There's something amazing and restful in knowing that God is always in control. Thanks for sharing!

eikon said...

what a cool perspective on seeing God as being sovereign over everything and yet loving us enough to sharpen us through what we face. i love what Peter says in 1 Peter 1:6-7 "In this you greatly rejoice, even though now for a little while,if necessary, you have been distressed by various trials, so that the proof of your faith, being more precious than gold which is perishable, even though tested by fire, may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ".

even in our trials God is using it to sharpen our faith and work good all things in our life for His glory

Kristen said...

Amen! Excellent post, Allison, and very encouraging to my soul. It is so easy to look at circumstances according to our own human, limited perspective. The challenge is learning to "look up" and trust His way is perfect and fashioned for a specific purpose no matter what one may face. Thanks for sharing your story. I look forward to the time in my life when I can look back and say with joy "God indeed had the perfect plan in mind."