Thursday, December 15, 2011

Recital

Picture credit: Katie
Tuesday night I had a recital with my piano students. After a wonderful visit at a nursing home the previous week where I arranged (with my sister) piano pieces between Scripture and Christmas carols, I decided I wanted to do something similar. I desired for my recital to be more Christ-focused than on the students. So I took the pieces they were playing and attempted to weave the gospel and the true meaning of Christmas throughout.

The verse I chose for my theme for my Christmas recital was John 10:10, which says, "I have come that they may have life and have it abundantly". The Christmas season is a joyous time where we can remember when Jesus was born in a humble manger. However we can’t forget amidst the sweetness of imagining a precious little baby boy that He was born for a purpose, and that was to be the substitution for us through His death on the cross, that by it we may obtain life. The Christmas story is full of the gospel! Isaiah 5 explains that we had “rejected the law of the LORD of hosts, and have despised the word of the Holy One of Israel.” Our sin separated us from God, and yet His amazing plan of redemption was determined from the beginning of time. He came to bring life to us!

This exciting Christmas recital was the closest I was going to get to having a Christmas party, so we celebrated with a cookie reception. Here are a few pictures I took...

Katie's beautiful Christmas tree cake pops. They were more difficult than we expected. ;)

The background Katie created for me

Cookies!

Observing the nativity scene
Isn't he adorable?



(And yes, the picture at the top is me, playing at my recital.) 


Katie

No comments: