Wednesday, August 29, 2012

First Days in the New City

Although we were tired, we pulled through our first day, unpacking in our hotel, and meeting our administrators. We were told that the four of us would teach at 3 separate schools. One was right next door to our hotel, but the ones my brother and I taught at were about 15 minutes away. A couple of the administrators couldn’t really speak English. We knew they were concerned that we were too young when they met us. Quite a discussion entailed (all in Chinese, of course), and we smiled, wondering what was going on. Apparently there were some concerns about our ability to teach, since there wasn’t much of an age gap between us and our students. The expectations for us were high.

We gathered together and prayed that night. We knew that we had walked into a spiritual battle, and that if God didn’t work, we would not be able to do anything. We were completely dependent on Him.
My school: I taught on the 4th floor

I walked into my class the next day, unsure of what to expect in the number of students, and with no ideas of whether I would have adults “watching” me or not. My English assistant sat in and watched, and was pleased with me. Each day I was scheduled to teach three 50 minute periods to one class. Before the third section of the class had begun, my English assistant approached me about teaching another class in the afternoon, to a group of elementary kids. I was surprised, and felt incompetent, because I had done absolutely no preparation for that age group. I asked the age, and was told they would be around 10 or 11. I agreed to a “trial lesson”, asking if I could teach the first day and then determine if I could do it. I explained that I was not prepared to teach younger kids.

All my teaching supplies were held in my backpack

The classroom


My outdoor "classroom"
So that afternoon I headed to the park to teach my first lesson with my elementary students. The class was supposed to be 2 hours. How in the world would I fill that time?

The lesson went well; thankfully dad had brought and prepared elementary material and I borrowed his books and ideas. At the end of the class, I was told that we would have class again the next day at the park. I wasn’t given the option to quit. “Okay,” I thought, “I guess I can do this!”



Katie

No comments: