Monday, August 20, 2012

Sufficiency

One of the things God began to lay on my heart during the first two weeks in China was that He was sufficient to meet all my needs, and all I needed to do was turn to Him. I saw how it was easy for me to become self-sufficient during my teaching because everything happened so fast, and was going pretty smoothly. There were two passages God specifically used spoke to me through.

“God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that having all sufficiency in all things at all times, you may abound in every good work… He who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will supply and multiply your seed for sowing and increase the harvest of your righteousness. You will be enriched in every way to be generous in every way, which through us will produce thanksgiving to God.”
2 Corinthians 9:8, 10-11

The fact that God is able to make all grace abound to us is worth stopping to think about because it is such a true and wonderful statement. But something else that God taught me through that passage was that not only does He do the work and increase our harvest, but by doing so He receives all the glory that He alone deserves. It is nothing I do, because I can do nothing apart from Him. Verse 11 then reminded me that it will produce thanksgiving in our own hearts! As Hudson Taylor so wisely wrote, “Let us see that we keep God before our eyes, that we walk in His ways and seek to please and glorify Him in everything, great and small. Depend upon it, God’s work done in God’s way will never lack God’s supplies.” I felt so thankful so many times while I was in China to be able to be there and watch God work.

God also used 2 Corinthians 3:4-5 to remind me of something crucial: “Such is the confidence that we have through Christ toward God. Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God.”

Little did I know that not only was God trying to teach me something amidst of my teaching in Pinghu, but He was also preparing me for what would happen in the next city I would go to.


Katie

1 comment:

God'sGirl said...

I love all the posts about China Allison! I am so pleased to see how you trusted Him and give Him glory.
-mer