Friday, November 8, 2013

What is your thankfulness rooted in?

We're exhorted to be thankful this month. Even our culture at large recognizes and acknowledges it. It's wonderful to be thankful, and certainly God wants us to be a grateful people. We have much to be grateful for. But our thankfulness is rooted in something deeper than the fact that we have family, a house, food on the table, a job, or good friends. Our thankfulness is rooted in what the Lord Jesus has done for us through coming to earth and dying on the cross to rescue us from our sin. Our gratitude is rooted in the gospel. Don't forget the gospel or brush it off as something for those who aren't Christians. The gospel is for here and now. It is for you. Today.

“The more absorbed I am in the gospel, the more grateful I become in the midst of my circumstances, whatever they may be…When I look at any circumstance that God apportions me, I am first grateful for the wrath I am not receiving in that moment…Secondly I am grateful for the blessings that are given to me instead of His wrath. This two-layered gratitude disposes my heart to give thanks in all things and it also lends a certain intensity to my giving of thanks.” Milton Vincent

Allison

No comments: