“You need a lot more than a passport to stay [overseas as a missionary]; you need an indestructible joy.”
Gloria Furman began with reminding us of some things to learn and character to pursue no matter where we are in missions:
- We have a chance to never make a sacrifice. There is an element to that there is no sacrifice for Jesus. Like David Livingstone, we can say, “I never made a sacrifice. Of this we ought not to talk when we remember the great sacrifice which he made who left His Father's throne on high to give Himself for us.”
- Treasure Jesus above all.
- Rejoice in doing whatever is put before you.
- Learn Contentment. God provides for our faith. He gives contentment I any situation. There is an opportunity to be content in any place. That contentment is a witness to the world.
- Pursue Lasting Beauty (Romans 10:15)
Practically speaking, there are many opportunities globally for women in missions. Some opportunities are ones that missionary men cannot have due to cultural norms. There are places in the world where men and women are not allowed to speak to one another, and women must share the gospel with women!
Some missions opportunities that Gloria has seen…
- Working for a family overseas, essentially like an indentured servant, to share the gospel
- Flight attendants on international flights (long flights…opportunities to talk to people about the gospel!)
- Spend time with a missionary family
- Biblical counseling is needed overseas too!
- Take profession overseas (be part of a strong local church and help disciple through it)
Sometimes you aren’t trained, but you see a need and are available to help. Be available!
Pray for wisdom, take opportunities to serve now, go to your church.