(We were asked not to give some of the names of this session for security purposes for those in risky places. I mostly took notes from the answers regarding single women's roles, as married women's roles are a bit more obvious :) )
“Safety is not a high biblical value. We are told to lay down our lives.” Leeann Stiles
“The center of God’s will is the best place to be, but it’s not the safest.”
Tips for flourishing as singles overseas:
- Be secure in singleness. Don’t think if you go God will give you a spouse.
- Have good habit of prayer and reading the Bible.
- Find a prayer partner/accountability partner.
- Find a network of friends.
- Expect loneliness. God uses it, prepare for it.
- Spend some time on a hobby outside of ministry.
- Don’t find your identity in your work. Your identity is in Christ.
- Resolve your single contentment level—sometimes you need to return home for periods of time.
Single women have an important role on the field.