Monday, February 10, 2014

Final Session of CROSS 2013


Mobilizing God’s Army for the Great Commission, David Platt
If you don’t read any of my other posts on the CROSS conference, please read this one.

I’m in awe of God’s goodness, His saving grace, and His intense mercy. I don’t even have the words to express how the last session of the CROSS conference went. It can’t be adequately described. All I can say is that God showed up! He awakened hearts and moved in a powerful way. We had a time of worship and prayer and then David Platt led us in a challenging message. You must watch it. If you aren’t moved, then you need to ask God to awaken you from your apathy. Because it is powerful when the Holy Spirit is moving in the hearts and lives of people.

At the last session of the conference, David Platt began with saying that by end he would ask for people to commit to returning to their churches and letting them know of their desire to be sent out as missionaries. I hadn’t thought about how there might be a “decision” at the end of the conference. During the service as I heard the Word proclaimed and truth declared, I struggled with what God would want me to do. Would I stand and publicly express my desire to be a missionary, or did God want me to help be a sender and stay where I am, serving and proclaiming the gospel in my area? I knew that, as Matt Chandler declared, ‘So little of our lives are actually about Christ.” I knew that Scripture speaks much about taking the gospel to all peoples, and throughout the conference I was impassioned to be more purposeful in that. I was convicted in being passive in regards to this when David Sitton said, “Pray to the Lord of the harvest then answer your own prayer and go!”

The commitment David Platt was asking people to make was this:
“Informed by the Word, inspired by the gospel, I resolve to communicate to my church my desire to go as a missionary, to cross a culture and spend my life for the spread of the gospel.”

David Platt wasn’t calling people to move tomorrow or to make a rash vow, but to carefully consider what God may desire for their lives. His picture was that of a blank check, being willing to say, “Whatever you want I’ll do, wherever you want, I’ll go.”

“The ultimate issue is not whether you stay or go, but whether you obey.” David Platt
After quoting Romans 1-8 and speaking about going, David Platt called people to stand and commit that “Informed by the Word, inspired by the gospel, I resolve to communicate to my church my desire to go as a missionary, to cross a culture and spend my life for the spread of the gospel.”

The response of those ready to go was overwhelming. Hundreds stood up. And I couldn’t stop crying. I did not stand. I wasn’t sure if God was leading me to commit now or not. Was it the fact that I didn’t know where or how or when or how long that caused me to not commit? Maybe I was wrong, but I do know that if God provided an opportunity and He wanted me to go, I’d go. Here I am Lord.

I’m encouraged that God is raising up a generation of risk takers for the gospel, who are willing to go to the ends of the earth for the glory of God in the joy of all peoples and are willing to die, because they have nothing to fear because this love so amazing “demands my soul, my life, my all.” (When I Survey) The words of this hymn, as well as others like “In Christ Alone” rang ever true in light of the truths we had heard over the course of the conference. They took on such new meaning in light of the truths culminating in our hearts. When you sing words like “whatever my lot Thou has taught me to say it is well, it is well with my soul” after hearing about how some of us will die for the cause of Christ, the words become more precious. These words, these realities, are not to be taken lightly.

There are people in the world who have NEVER heard the name of Jesus. And what do we do about it? We sit around wasting time, lost in the daily mundane, thinking that someday we might go on a short term mission trip or give to the Lottie Moon offering. How little eternity is on our hearts!



Allison

No comments: