Monday, October 27, 2014

Gratitude: Intro

One of my top viewed posts here on my blog is one I wrote years ago on complaining vs. thankfulness. Since it was such a long time ago that I wrote that, I’ve considered writing more on thankfulness for a while, but have been slow at getting around to it. Recently I determined that this would be good timing, since Thanksgiving is approaching.

I began thinking about aspects of thankfulness, and pulled out a book to read to get me started, “Choosing Gratitude” by Nancy DeMoss.

Little did I know that God’s purpose for me in writing on thankfulness was not to just write on thankfulness, but reveal to me how ungrateful I am.

I know I don’t always express my gratitude as I should, but I didn’t consider myself ungrateful. Isn’t it funny how we can view ourselves in such a positive light, minimizing our sins, yet often magnify the sins of those around us? After all, I’m not one to complain about much. Other people are a lot worse, right? But when I honestly look at my life, and see how often I’m looking at circumstances in light of me and responding based on how things affect me, well, that’s another story. Maybe I’m not as grateful as I’d like to think.

Choosing Gratitude” has challenged me, and God has been using it to show me that I need to cultivate a spirit of gratitude more intentionally.

This reminds me of a passage to me in the Psalms from Psalm 40:1-5. It talks about God’s deliverance, pulling me out of the pit of destruction and setting my feet on firm ground. Verse five responds in thanksgiving:

“You have multiplied, O Lord my God, Your wondrous deeds and Your thoughts toward us; none can compare with You! I will proclaim and tell of them, yet they are more than can be told.”

I want my heart to overflow with thankfulness like this far more than I do. I want to be known as a grateful person, not so people will look to me, but so that they will see how much God has done for me and praise Him! I don’t want to steal the credit from the One who deserves it.

God has much to do in me. This series on gratitude is not so much of a list of steps to make you a more grateful person, but preaching to myself, because I need this the most.


Allison

No comments: