Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Hope for the Control Freak

image
The truth from Jeremiah 17:5 that trusting in self leads to a heart that turns from God is deeply challenging. I know it is true because when difficulties build and I respond by worrying and attempting to control my circumstances, my prayer life decreases. Funny how worry and stress can’t grow at the same time as prayer and hope in God. There’s good reason for that—because prayer requires humility. If I really humbled myself before God and acknowledged my need for His grace, I would be given the power to rightly handle the worry, stress, fear or other wrong thoughts.

“Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose trust is the Lord. He is like a tree planted by water, that sends out its roots by the stream, and does not fear when heat comes, for its leaves remain green, and is not anxious in the year of drought, for it does not cease to bear fruit.” Jer. 17:7-8

There are a few things that stand out to me in this passage. 
Those who trust in God...
  • Do not fear when the heat comes. No fear of difficulty or trials. No responses of worry or push to control.
  • Are not anxious even in bad circumstances (drought)!
  • Do not cease to bear fruit. God wants me to bear fruit no matter what the circumstances around me are like. Trusting in Him doesn't get rid of the difficulty, but it allows me to grow and bear fruit amidst it.

As I see sinful responses overflow from my heart and as I seek to repent of them and learn to respond biblically, I must remind myself of the gospel. My hope is in the gospel and the truth that Christ has provided everything I need in Him. If my heart battle for control stems from a desire to look good to others, I can release that and know that I am accepted by God because of Christ’s righteousness on my behalf. If I’m worried that I won’t accomplish everything because I want to succeed, I can remember that at the end of the day, it’s okay if everything doesn’t get done. My joy or purpose isn’t based on my performance, but on Christ’s death in my place.

So the hope for "control freaks" is not found in a system or a plan, but in Jesus Christ. Will you hope in Him, or will you fight to control your life?


Allison

No comments: